Each area has pages. For our purposes it makes sense to refer only to the pages of the public or private area.
Each area has the following basic pages:
- Home: the home page
- Communication: the page that displays any error messages
- Sitemap: the page designed to display the site map (the area map would be more correct)
- Search Result: the page designed to display the search result within the site
- Offline: (only in public area) the page that displays site maintenance message
- Logout: (only in private areas) not editable page.
When you create a new area by accessing pages will prompt you to initialize it. Initialization is precisely to create the basic pages.
Basic pages can not be deleted or disabled: the CMS need it for well-functioning.
The page's structure
You can imagine all the pages of an area and a particular language as an upside down tree (the root above and branches hanging down). The root is the home page, branches at level 1 pages are directly descended from the home page (these pages can be in a menu or not). For example the page Sitemap is a page at level 1 and if you want you can put it in a menu; Communication is also a page at level 1 but it makes no sense to put it in a menu.
Suppose you have created a page Informations at level 1 (directly descended from the home page), we can create a sub-page of Information called Where we are that will be a page at level 2.
After a click on the icon Pages in the menu on the left you see the pages of level 1 of the default language of public area. If you want to change area or language click on the switches at the top right. To see the sub-pages of a page, simply click on the name of the page. If you want to see the structure of pages you can click on sitemap.
NOTE: if you want a page with a high level (eg level 10) is faster to open the sitemap icon and then click the page name you are interested.
What can I do with pages?
Page view shows the commands available to perform, missing commands indicate impossible operations (eg delete the home page) or operations precluded because you do not have the privileges to execute.
- create a page
- edit a page (modify or compose contents)
- enable/disable a page
- change settings (SEO Tools)
- lock and unlock a page
- delete a page
- change the order in menu and site map
- put them in a menu or remove them from a menu.
Create a page
Whatever the level you are at the top right above the table there will be a PLUS icon, click it and you'll see a form to add a new page with this fields:
- name: required, will be used to create the url, the page name and page title
NOTE: In each area, and language there can't be two pages with the same URL, if you just need to use the same name you can change the url (see SEO Tools later in this page)
- description: will be included in the meta tag description
- parent page: every branch of the tree must come from a node page, here you can specify the source page, the default here is the source page of the level where you are
- template: the layout page to be associated with those under the theme set for the area where you are, the default here is the basic layout of the theme.
All these data can then be modified.
After saving, if there were no exceptions, you will have a new page.
NOTE: The newly created page is obviously empty and so is disabled.
Edit a page
To edit a page click on the edit icon. Here there are two possibilities:
- if the site is set for SIMPLE editing (default option) will open the page with the content editor (we'll see it in another chapter)
- if the site is set to ADVANCED editing page will open with the composer for the arrangement of articles in different sections (which we will see it in another chapter).
Enable/disable a page
Disabled pages are not visible online.
Change settings: SEO Tools
Almost all changes to the settings of a page are related to search engines the command is called SEO Tools (SEO = Search Engine Optimizer).
If you click on the settings icon you'll see a form where you can change the following values:
- page URL: is the URL of the page, is a text string that contains only alphanumeric characters and underscores. In the same area and same language there can't be two identical URLs
- Name: is the name of the page as it will appear in the menu and site map. Here, if necessary, you can set duplication.
- Title: is the description of the page as displayed in the tooltip when the mouse is over the link
- Description: this is the description page included in the meta tag description
- Parent page: is the page node from the page in question follows
- Don't show in site map: if necessary, you can set to not view a page in the site map
- Keys: are words (or phrases) key used by search engines. Be entered separated by a comma.
NOTE: they have no weight once and misconduct penalize the pages rather than benefit them. In general it should not exaggerate too much repetition (over 3) of the same key are not assessed positively. They have more 'weight' keys that are reflected in the URL, name, title, description, and especially content.
- Template: for each page you can define a different layout (if your theme provide them). When you create a page, by default, it have the basic layout named "base".
Lock/unlock a page
With X3 CMS you can define multiple administrators. Each administrator can have different permissions on different parts of the site. An administrator may decide to prevent changes to a specific page with a lock. Now administrators with less power can not run changes.
Delete a page
Removal results in loss of all data related to the page. If you are unsure it is better disable the page. In the eyes of site's visitors the result will be the same, but if you change your mind you can reactivate the page.
Change the order of pages and move in menù
At every level you can order pages by clicking the direction icon .
Whit the same dialog you can move items in menù.
If you're at level 1 and there are menus you can put a page in a menu at the desiderd position.
If you are at level 2 or more and the parent page is in a menù you have the checkbox to put the page in menu and decide at which position.
NOTE: The menu at various levels shall be provided by the template will not show otherwise.
NOTE: the automatic loading of menu stops at level 2 for more levels need to change the MAX_MENU_DEEP value in the file config.php